Wednesday, November 5, 2008

4:00 AM--Thoughts by BBD

I woke up at about four this morning. Why? Because unfortunately I could not stay awake long enough to hear the outcome of the 2008 presidential election, and I was extremely curious as to who our next president-elect was. I kept telling myself that I needed to go back to sleep, despite the election uproar, I still had school in the morning. But my body (or was it my mind?) refused to comply. I trudged out of my loft bed, and checked my phone, unsurprisingly I had a text from one of my friends who had been keeping me updated on the election that night, and who had loyally continued to text me with updates long after he knew that I had fallen asleep. The most recent text said “Obama won!!” At first, I couldn’t believe it, I wasn’t sure if he was kidding, or maybe if he only thought that Obama had won, but had gotten confused in keeping up with the Electoral College. After a few minutes, I convinced myself that it was fact that Obama had won, and went back to sleep.
When I woke up at my usual 6:30, to an obnoxiously loud chorus of Kat DeLuna’s Whine Up (yes that is my alarm…get over it) at first it did not register in my head: Obama had been elected as the president of the United States of America. It’s not that I didn’t believe that it could ever happen, I just had some doubts as to how fair the Electoral College would be and how many Obama supporters would actually vote. After letting my dog outside, I immediately jumped on my computer, and Googled “2008 presidential election”; I was curious as to how the states had voted, who had won which state. I studied the map for a few minutes, I was shocked that majority of the state of Ohio (where much of my family resides, my mom and I are basically the only ones who live “up North” as they call it) had voted for Obama. Showing how much of a procrastinator I am (I hate getting dressed in the morning…it’s always cold) I decided to search through some more election coverage before I got ready for school. As I was on youtube.com I found a video which I thought was pretty funny: YouTube - Obama Wins song (T.I. - Live Your Life SPOOF). It’s a spoof of the popular song Live Your Life (by Rihanna and T.I.) but instead it shows a cartoon Obama rapping.
On a sadder note, winning the election must be very hard for Obama, since he lost his grandmother, the woman who raised him, earlier this week. I was very close to my grandmother (my mother’s mother) and when she died it was devastating for me, so I cannot imagine what it must be like for Barack Obama, whose grandmother raised him shortly after his parents’ divorce, until he moved back to Indonesia where his mother was living.


One thing that I find very inspiring about this year’s election is the abundance of voters, not just supporters of McCain, but voters in general, especially young voters. Many people this year wanted their voice heard, after living under the rule of the Bush Administration for eight extremely long and painful years. It’s nice to see a country come together when they really believe in something, but at the same time it’s sad that we had to have such an unfortunate president for eight years in order for this unity to be accomplished. This election is extremely historical and inspiring, and I’m glad that I was alive for it, and I have faith that Obama will live up to the president that we have hoped for and need.

No comments: