Wednesday, November 5, 2008

For the First Time... --Thoughts by RF

The 2000 election occurred when I was in 3rd grade. My elementary school held a mock election, and Al Gore won. When my mom came to pick up me and my sister from the school bus stop, we both enthusiastically flew off the bus yelling, “Gore won!” We thought his win at our school was an implication for the rest of the country. Sadly, it wasn’t. Four years later, when I was in 7th grade, I was praying for Senator John Kerry to win the election, and not to allow four more years of President Bush. I canvassed for Senator Kerry in New Hampshire, and honestly believed that Americans would look at the deficit, and how much Americans would have to pay off for the Iraq war, and give their vote to Senator Kerry. It didn’t happen that time either, and I felt incredibly dejected and not very hopeful for the future. Barack Obama has re-energized my interest and faith in politics. When I listen to him speak, I see someone who is able to identify and appeal to almost anyone. The contrast in Obama’s appeal with Senator McCain’s is very clear. The crowd at Obama’s speech last night was a diverse group of many colors. The crowd at McCain’s concession speech consisted mostly of older, Caucasian adults. Obama sees everyone in this country as having something to offer, and wants to mandate his policies to make sure that every American has the best experience. McCain and Palin, on the other hand, don’t really seem to acknowledge the presence of Americans who don’t fit the “Joe The Plumber” image. Not a very inspiring prospect for the future, and also not one worth risking. The rest of the country felt that way too, and showed it with their votes yesterday. When I look at Barack Obama and Joe Biden, I see an America which I can grow and thrive in when the time comes for me to venture out into the “real world.” When I look at John McCain and Sarah Palin, I see more of the same of the last eight years. Over the process of this election, I have participated in many ways which have helped me have an influence. Last April, I canvassed in Pennsylvania the weekend before the primary, and while there, I saw Obama speak. The impact of his speeches is even greater when they are seen up close. Over the last few weekends before the election, I have gone up to New Hampshire every Saturday morning at 9 am with my father, to canvass for Obama to help get out the vote. Canvassing is exhausting work-it involves going up to houses, ringing the bell, and asking perfect strangers about their choice for the election. But if Obama won, it was all worth it. The presidency of George W. Bush has not made me feel very hopeful for the future. But with Barack Obama’s win last night, I feel a new burst of hope-I expect a better future for me, for everyone around me, and I expect that America’s reputation in the larger world will be restored. These are the things that matter most, and these are the reasons why Barack Obama is the President of the United States.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

No comments: