Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts on the Presidential Election by JC

Politically speaking I am a center-right person, meaning I am generally a moderate-conservative with a few liberal leanings, and I plan to register as an Independent at age 18. Overall my support could have gone either way this election as I am not extreme and don’t care to obsess with what party the candidates are in. In the closing days I effectively and officially supported Senator Obama for whatever a non-eligible voter’s support is worth (and it is worth something, though not much). Overall I feel that both Barack Obama and John McCain are intelligent, well educated, moral, and patriotic men, both of whom could be effective leaders. But obviously when it comes down to it you have to choose one candidate. When it comes to social issues I agree with Obama on same-sex marriage, I think it is not the government’s place to tell anyone who they can marry and I do not see same-sex relationships as immoral. Whether Obama supports legislation for fully equal civil unions or full marriage I will support it. I could go either way on abortion. Although I consider myself pro-life I could support a pro-Choice candidate so long as they take a very strong stance against late term abortions (which Senator Obama does). When it comes to gun rights I am a strong supporter of the second amendment but think there should definitely be a background check on people who buy said weapons, making me support McCain on this issue. I am anti-affirmative action, but feel that at one point in history it had a place and that in theory it is a great thing, but in practice it is no longer needed as much today. I take the stance that it is up to the people to fight discrimination on that level, not the government.
On the issue of education I am in full support of Obama, a major revamping and investment must be made in the U.S education system and we must raise the bar. Vice-President elect Joe Biden has a long history of fighting for education reform as well, strengthening my support for them in that category. See Obama's Education Plan .The McCain/Palin ticket barely addressed education which worried me.
Both candidates are in support of energy reform, investing in alternative fuels and lessening our dependency on Middle Eastern oil. I was at a complete tie for the candidates on this issue.
When it comes to foreign policy, one of my biggest concerns is the war in Afghanistan. The lack of coalition troops on the ground have resulted in the war becoming a complete stalemate. Thankfully both of the candidates had supported a troop surge in Afghanistan and once again focus on defeating Al-Qaeda. Senator Obama said on numerous occasions that the Afghanistan war is the main battle ground of the war on terror, which I agree with. On the Issue of the war in Iraq the fact that neither candidate supports immediate withdrawal is good enough for me, I think the 2007 troop surge has worked (as both candidates agree) and that war the U.S needs to withdraw sooner rather than later which makes me lean slightly Obama on this issue. I think both candidates are also tough enough to talk to leaders of hostile foreign nations without being used as a piece of negative propaganda by other world leaders. Although I am shaky about Obama talking unconditionally with other world leaders I think he is both tough and intelligent enough to get the job done adequately, as is McCain.
When it comes to taxation I am simply not well informed enough to know much about the issue, but feel that a change is needed and am willing to support Obama due to the fact it is simply a new change. I am against the abuse of the welfare system, but understand that mental illnesses should be covered and I am not for the abolishing it completely. This makes lean McCain, on that issue specifically but not ultra-strongly.
The last major set of issues for me when it came to the election was who each candidate would have in their cabinet and VP spot and Obama won by a landslide for me. Senator Joe Biden is vastly more informed and experienced than Sarah Palin and I would feel much more secure with Joe Biden as President than Sarah Palin. Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama also made me feel that Obama would have a better group of experienced high ranking leaders around him, plus it shows Obama’s willingness to work with Republicans and hear all sides of an argument, which is very important when you are trying to unify a nation that is more divided than ever.
To sum it up the factors that got me on the Obama/Biden bandwagon are simply his foreign policy, education, energy views, and what promises to be a strong candidate. The fact that I disagree with Obama on some things is fine with me, I do not want a President that necessarily agrees with me 100% of the time as much as one who agrees with me a good percentage of the time that won’t lie to me even when it’s something I disagree with, which I feel Obama will stay true to. I am very convinced John McCain is an honest good man in his own right, but as seen in his campaign he is sometimes too willing to compromise and appease to try and please everyone.
I am now moderately confident in Barack Obama and am happy that he won the Presidency, and having seen his victory speech last night I was greatly inspired but am still mildly skeptical, but so is my nature. To his credit John McCain’s concession speech was respectful and unifying as he attempted to put the election in the past, voice his existing disagreement, and also voice his respect and willingness to aid Obama in what is sure to be a very tough Presidency and tough time in the world. Regardless of my political disagreements with Obama I still think he and his supporters ran one of the most successful impressive Presidential campaigns in history. On a side note, I hate to focus on race but I am also proud of the fact an African-American was elected to the Presidency. While race does not matter when it comes to the qualification of the President, it does show the America is moving forwards past racism. Regardless of how effectively Obama does govern America (and I think it will be well) this election will still at the very least prove and project a more positive view of the U.S public to the world.

No comments: